Ten years ago, if you asked me what the health benefits are of regular dog grooming, I would stare at you blankly and not have the slightest clue what to say.
Hello there! My name is Chelsea and I am a professional dog groomer. Before I started my journey into the wonderful world of grooming, I basically just thought you gave your dog a bath in the yard when it got dirty and grooming was only for the “froo-froo” dogs like Poodles and Bichons.
Boy was I way off! Having a regular grooming routine for your beloved canine can mean anything from basic nail trimming and brushing to full-on pampered pooch spa services! All aspects of grooming are extremely beneficial in many different ways. I’ll try my best not to go on a crazy rant here,but I think these are the key health benefits to regular grooming.
Basic health benefits of grooming:
– Bathing and maintaining a dog’s coat helps regulate their body temperature, keeps them clean and smelling fresh
– Ear cleaning helps prevent wax buildup and infections
– Nail trimming prevents nails from breaking and splitting. Overgrown nails cause the toes to bend and twist making walking painful and leading to arthritis
– Teeth brushing prevents tartar & plaque build-up, gum disease and infection
– Routine brushing and trimming on dogs that require haircuts will prevent uncomfortable tangles and matting
I could talk about the benefits of routine grooming till I’m blue in the face! For now I will leave it at the basics and expand on each topic separately in my future blogs. If you have any questions for me feel free to leave a comment!
“Anybody who doesn’t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog!” – Franklin P. Jones