Today, October 26 is National Pumpkin Day! Do you know how good pumpkin is for dogs? It makes a fantastic nutritious snack and has health benefits. Here are 5 reasons why you should feed your dogs pumpkin:
1. Natural Diarrhea Remedy: Pumpkin is rich in fiber and will add bulk to the stool. Mix one or two teaspoons of pureed pumpkin into your dog’s food over several meals to provide relief.
2. Natural Constipation Relief: While pumpkin is high in fiber & adds bulk, it is also high in water content and can help lubricate a dog’s stool. In general, pumpkin is great for any dog’s digestive health.
3. Weight Management: Doggie needs to go on a diet? Replace a bit of your dog’s regular food each meal with a dollop of pumpkin. Since pumpkin is low-calorie, low-fat, and high in fiber it will help your dog feel full while cutting calories.
4. Immunity: Pumpkin flesh is full of vitamins A and C, and other immune boosting minerals.
5. Eye Health: Vitamin A is a key vitamin for vision and eye health, so eating pumpkin may help in that regard.
So many great reasons to give your dogs pumpkin! Just be certain that it is 100% pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling, which has some spices that dogs should not eat.